This is a follow-up to yesterday’s post (here). Every city has a drop in or many for new parents, google it, research your community center, find out if there are classes or workshops, it is important to get out and meet other parents.
1. Think of it as an outing, don’t think of it as a place you will instantly make friends.
2. Everyone feels uncomfortable in these groups, you have become used to being known for your career before having baby, stripping that away and being a Mom is a culture shock in itself.
3. Sometimes, the women you think you won’t get along with, end up being the greatest friends. So don’t judge a book by its cover.
4. The more standoffish you are, the more uncomfortable you make the room feel. Relax, nobody is judging you, but you.
5. Be friendly and approachable.
6. Ask questions
7. Try a group that revolves around an activity, not just sitting around, activities give you common ground.
8. Try a group that meets at a community center, church or any where that is not someones home – usually if you don’t know the group, it is just awkward going onto someone else’s territory.
If you have anything to add or share, please do!
Hope this helps,